Friday, January 17, 2020

Choosing the Pitch

      For the final task, I need to decide on a pitch. This choice is crucial because it will decide the path of the entire process. The first pitch idea I had was, "A man will do anything it takes to protect the strange secret behind his fortune." Story-wise, the pros of this pitch are that I can take it in many different directions. It would be easy to make the ending of the two minutes be captivating and make people want to watch more. From a technical standpoint, this pitch would be one of the easiest to make. It wouldn't need too many other actors or overly difficult editing techniques. However, I think the con of this pitch is that if I would have to plan the story beyond what I'm a filming a lot so I would be able to think of a convincing and interesting secret. Additionally, what I have in mind may be too comedy-leaning for this project. This could be easily fixed, though.

     The second idea I had was, "When a foreboding nuclear test site is disturbed, a town must cope with it's disastrous effects." This idea was inspired by the concept of long-time nuclear waste warning messages. These messages are meant to warn future civilizations about nuclear waste burial sites, even after language ends. The pros of this idea are that I already have a general idea on what I'd film for the first minute or so. Also, I feel that this would be the most interesting pitch to turn into a two minute clip. Above all else, I am the most inspired by this idea, which I think would make the quality of my final product much higher. However, the biggest issue with this pitch is where I would film it. I would have to find an abandoned, wasteland looking area, which may be difficult. I would also need to buy some costumes, which could end up being expensive, especially since they're just one time props.

  The third idea I had was, "A man with the ability to know the exact consequences of his actions uses his power for frivolous things." I am not going to use this pitch simply because I am the least inspired by it. I don't think the final product would make people want to watch more. Therefore, the choice is between the first two pitches. With everything considered, I am choosing the second pitch. I think that, if I can pull it off, it will make for a good final product. Additionally, there are workarounds to the costume problem I mentioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment