Monday, October 14, 2019

Editing Lesson

   Today, I learned how to set up the camera and the basics of editing. I also learned the process for checking out the camera in the classroom. This involves filling out a form and placing it in the correct folder. Additionally, I learned about the pieces of equipment that will be used while filming and dumping footage onto the computer. This includes the SD card, SD card reader, and the tripod. To place the camera onto the tripod, first I have to extend the legs of the tripod. For extra height, there is a lever near the top of the tripod that allows the camera to be raised or lowered. From there, the plate on the tripod with the silver button needs to be loosened. Then, the camera can be screwed onto the tripod. If it is loose, there is a small screw on the camera that tightens it.

  To dump the footage from the camera to the computer, first the SD card must be removed from the camera. Then, it is put into an SD card reader. The reader is put into the USB slot of the desktop. In order to ensure that the raw footage is always available to be used, a folder needs to be created that contains all of the footage from the SD card. Usually, the files are stored into the DCIM folder. However, they may also be in the "Private" folder. Once the files from the SD card have been imported onto the computer, I open Pinnacle Studios. This is the editing software we are using. In the top right corner, there is an import button. I select all the raw footage and import it into Pinnacle Studios.

   Now, the editing can begin. In the top bar, there is an "edit" button. From there, I can drag the footage I want from the library into the timeline. To do cuts, I move the slider to right before I want to cut and select the razor icon at the top of the timeline. I can then delete the footage I want cut once it's been split. To add transitions, there is an "Effects" button that can be accessed when footage is right clicked. The effects tab contains transitions, corrections, and cropping tools. To add text, there is a "T" to the left of the timeline. The text must be on the top track to be visible. I also learned how to remove audio and add voiceovers by right clicking on a take on in the timeline and selecting "Detach Audio".  Once the final video is done, I can export it using the export button in the top right.

No comments:

Post a Comment