Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Introductory

Today we did a practice extract. We watched a clip of Mr. Robot and had to analyze the sound and mise en scene of it. The day prior we did a similar activity with camera movements and editing, but I was absent for that portion. I think I did well with the sound aspect, but mise en scene was difficult. I didn't know how to put what I saw into words. Additionally, I forgot the specifics of what mise en scene was. I was able to remember it included location, costumes, and lighting, but besides that I wasn't able to remember what made up mise en scene. Sound was easier, as I could clearly put what I heard and when into words. I feel like I don't have to put as much practice into that aspect as I do with mise en scene and editing.

Despite being absent for the first portion of the extract, I attempted the camera movements and editing parts of the practice using Mr. Robot. I found camera angles and movements easy to describe, but editing was very difficult. I ended up repeating myself a few times because I was running out of things to say about the editing. I think it's one of the harder things to write about because of how subtle the editing is on some pieces of media. However, it could be difficult simply because of how clueless I am with editing as of right now. I don't know much editing terminology, as I switched into Media Studies later into the quarter. However, I am trying to memorize and learn the terms as I go.

Overall, the extract was at a moderate difficulty for me. Some aspects were very easy for me, such as sound and camera movements. However, mise en scene and editing were very difficult. I'll need to practice those parts moreseo than anything else. Hopefully, through the upcoming commercial project, I will become more familiar with editing and therefore get better at identifying editing in pieces of media.

No comments:

Post a Comment